Friday, February 17, 2023

Character Ideas

What Is More Appealing: Perfect or Relatable?

I think it would be the latter. Being perfect is great, but in order to fully gain the trust and love of someone (including your target audience), you have to show humanity. Why do you think that when asked to name their favorite character, most people state the comic relief character? They are far from perfect and have many problems, yet in spite of all that they stay true to humanity and always find a way to cope with their issues. 


                                         
       Stiles Stilinski (Teen Wolf)                                                                                Luis (Ant-Man)
                                        
                                               Sokka (Avatar The Last Airbender)

     Most people dislike main characters, saying they are "try Hards" or "whiny when they had everything made in the shade." However, when a person is able to connect with the character, they subconsciously feel the need to protect them when their friends, or anyone in general, talks bad about them or if they die on screen. This is what I want to achieve with my character. I want her to be female, seeing as to most of the consumers would be most likely be female since it isn't an action film. Her personality can be sarcastic yet not too much that it gets annoying. Sarcasm is the language of Gen Z, and most people understand what it is. She can also be compassionate as well as passionate. Nobody wants a cold and indifferent character, especially as the lead of a film. I want her to be a leader and genuinely care about her family and friends and be able to lean on them for support. I want her passionate about what she does. Whether dance, singing, volunteering, or whatever is important to the plot I come up with, I want her to be determined to be the best she can be and enjoy doing it. 
      As far as appearances go, I want to go with a blonde character. As a blonde myself, I can attest that it doesn't feel good to have all characters that look like you be either obsessed only with fashion, non-intelligent, or the antagonist. There are a lot of movies that portray them like this: Mean Girls, Clueless, etc. I feel like a lot more girls could connect to the character if she was blonde, and maybe even people that aren't blonde could stop stereo typing blondes. I would love to have characters of different ethnicities and cultures be a major part of the film as well. I just want to create something that any kid could look at and me like "Hey! That's Me!" and love it.



Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

Instagram Link:  https://www.instagram.com/alettertomymomfilm/?next=%2F @alettertomymomfilm  Movie Trailers: https://drive.google.com/file/d...